A Members-Only Study Tour of the Madison House

posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:36 AM by Bill Marzella
Saturday, November 22nd at 10:30 a.m.

Located in the Brookeville Historic District in Montgomery County, Madison House is the oldest and arguably the most significant structure in this once bustling market town founded by local Quakers. The house was erected ca. 1798 as the residence and store of Caleb Bentley and is a vernacular expression of the Federal style. It is elegantly understated and includes many architectural refinements, yet as originally planned it lacked the formality common to other houses in the region constructed both for families of middling status and the more affluent. Madison House was later altered and expanded to conform to rising and more rigidly defined middle-class expectations, providing a case study for the evolving use of domestic space as it related to gentility and class formation in the early nineteenth century.


Madison House also holds a significant place in the history of the War of 1812. Its present name originated with its use in 1814 as a place of refuge by President James Madison and others fleeing Washington when the British invaded and set fire to the city. The careful stewardship of Madison House was recognized in 2012 when it received the Washington Post award for best historic rehabilitation.

Sandy Heiler, homeowner and Vice Chairman, Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission, and Catherine Lavoie, Chief, Historic American Buildings Survey, will lead the tour. Guidebooks for a short self-guided walking tour of the Brookeville Historic District will also be made available.

Tour participants will meet at Madison House, 205 Market Street, Brookeville, Maryland at 10:30 a.m. Park on Market Street and walk up the lane to the house. Reservations are required. See attached flyer for additional information.
Ċ
Bill Marzella,
Nov 4, 2014, 4:36 AM
Comments